In 1928, Dr. George Papanicolaou, a pioneer in early cancer detection, introduced the world to a technique used to diagnose cervical cancer that he called “the Pap smear”.
In 1961, Dr. Papanicolaou was invited to Miami to lead and develop the Institute which was renamed the Papanicolaou Cancer Research Institute in 1962. The cancer activists formally became The Papanicolaou Women’s Corps and are now known as The Pap Corps Champions for Cancer Research.
When Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center opened at the University of Miami Medical School in 1992, the Papanicolaou Laboratories were already located at the medical school campus. Throughout all of the growth, The Pap Corps has been there raising funds for all types of cancer research—an effort that has successfully continued to this day. And now, as we celebrate our 66th anniversary, The Pap Corps has grown to over 20,000 women and men across 53 chapters throughout South Florida, raising over $110 million.